Cress By Marissa Meyer
I recently read this third book in The Lunar Chronicles. It is a tale of rescue and intrigue reminiscent of Rapunzel, with recurring characters from Cinder (Cinderella) and Scarlet (beauty and the beast meets red riding hood).
Cress is a young woman, having been imprisoned by an evil (of course) captor, and forced to use her gifts for nefarious purposes. Having been abandoned by her parents and told society would never accept her, unable to call for help, she throws herself into her work, and immerses herself in stories and tales. When an opportunity to ask for help finally arrives, she seizes it with both hands. The rescue doesn’t go as planned, although she is soon living her own tale.
This book helps us to understand what Cinder is truly facing as she attempts to overthrow Levana as ruler of the Lunars, and the origin of the plague the Earthens are facing comes to light, as we follow Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress through their tale.
The fourth book, Winter, is due to come out in November of this year, and is to hold the tale of the Queen Levana’s stepdaughter, Princess Winter.
These books speak to discrimination, racism, and doing what is right, even when it is hard and the consequences dire.
Written by: CP
“So many books, so little time”
Well guys, it is the middle of April already! Where did the school year go? I can’t believe that this school year will be over in only 2 ½ months. Mary Poppins is starting, the weather is mild, and on a lazy afternoon, nothing is better than a good book and a chair in the sunshine!
Good things are always happening in our library! Whether you are here to find a book, study for a test, do research for an assignment, or play a card game with your friends, you are always welcome! We are blessed to have many student helpers, and love that our library is a fun place to hang out!
We are always looking for new books to offer in our library. If you know of a book you think students would be interested in reading, use the “Suggest a book” tab at the top of the page!
A new shipment of books is coming soon. Keep your eye on the “New Stuff!” to see what will soon be available!
Dear Parents and Families,
MEI Middle School is once again hosting a Scholastic Book Fair! Join us for this special event October 27th – 30thin the Multi-Purpose Room. Come celebrate books and reading with us!
The Book Fair will be open after school on Monday (if they deliver early enough!), 8:00am-4:00pm on Tuesday and Wednesday, and 8:00am-8:00pm on Thursday.
A new contest has been added this year! Come to the Fair to check it out. Also, for every $10 spent you can enter to win a prize! If students bring a family member to the book fair, they can enter the “Family Prize Draw” and win $50.00 in books!! $25 worth of books for their family, and $25 for their classroom teacher. Contest submissions for the family draw must be in by 4pm on Wednesday.
Check out the teacher’s Classroom Wish List display. This is a great way to give the perfect gift, support literacy, build the classroom library and show appreciation for your child’s teacher. Every generous gift you make will be recognized with a special bookplate, identifying your family or child as the donor. You can either buy one of the books the teacher has selected or give a cash donation that they can use to buy books from the fair.
P.S. Did you know that for every $10 you spend at the Book Fair, up to $6 goes back to our school? This allows us to purchase library books and educational resources. Thanks for your support!
See you at the Book Fair!
I hope everyone enjoyed their summer break!
This is going to be a GREAT year! It has already had a busy start with students signing out textbooks last week. If you signed out textbooks you were given a Textbook Condition Form to record any damage you found in the textbooks. It is very important for you to fill the form out carefully and hand it in by the end of September as it will save you from having to pay for damage you didn’t do!! Hand them in by September 15th if you want a chance to win a prize! This week we will be going over what is new in the library and there will also be an orientation for all grade 6 classes. Your regular library times have been scheduled so I will see you all this week!
Summer is almost here!!
Here are a few announcements and important dates to remember:
- All library materials are due back on JUNE 11. Everything must be returned and all fines paid before you can get your yearbook at the end of the year. The yearbooks are always AMAZING so don’t miss out!
- NEW EVENT! For the first time the middle school will have a second half off fine day (for overdue fines only) this will be on Friday, JUNE 13! Please check your account to see if you have any overdue items (fines will not be totaled until they are returned). If you have fines for research books or if there are any problems with your account please come see me right away.
- Textbooks can be returned when your teacher says to return them. A table will be set up in the library for each grade. Please remember to take out ALL your papers and erase any pencil marks.
- Fines for damages (not written on the Textbook Condition Form) will be added to your account so check BEFORE Thursday, JUNE 19!
- Textbooks returned after JUNE 17 will automatically be marked as lost and will show up as a fine. But don’t worry! The fine will be removed once the textbook has been checked in (some classes will be using their textbooks until the 19th)
- NO YEARBOOK LISTS will once again be posted outside the library and on the first floor starting Wednesday, JUNE 18. Make sure your name is not on it! If it is check your account to see why!
- An email will be sent to parents of students with outstanding fines on JUNE 18. If you do not have an email on file please check your account.
- LAST DAY OF CLASSES IS JUNE 20!!! J
HAPPY SUMMER EVERYONE!!
If you took books out before Spring Break, they are due back today (March 31st) please remember to renew or return them to avoid fines!
The library will be closed at 3pm on Wednesday April 2nd.
It’s not too late!
You can take out 10 books/music for over the break.
All items will be due the day you return.
The winner of the “library account” contest is Bethany T.!